Thursday 17 November 2011

Weekend Rest

Well what a lovely feeling I've got a long weekend this week. So I'm off on Friday to sunny Salisbury. Can't wait I'm looking forward to a rest. We're staying in the YHA in Salisbury, which is quite a charming old building with a short walk into the city. It's easy to get to Stonehenge and the Cathedral.

We're planning to see Lacock village and abbey on the way. I've never been but it looks idyllic. Owned by the National Trust it is a popular spot for filming for movies and TV. In fact Harry Potter was filmed in Lacock Abbey itself and Pride And Prejudice around the village scenery. It has not only the quaint village and Abbey but also a museum and gardens. The Fox Talbot museum exhibits work on the first known surviving negative using a camera (from 1835).

Then we want to see Devizes and the Caen Hill canal locks - quite a spectacular sight I'm told. Finally reaching our destination in Salisbury. We also hope to see Stonhenge, Salisbury Cathedral and a couple of the museums in Salisbury itself. Returning home and visiting Avebury on the way back. Another full day as me and the other half want to see Silsbury Hill and some of the Barrows  around that area. Avebury looks amazing, too - obviously the stones are a must see but there's also a manor and the Keiller Museum.

Wow I'm exhausted just thinking about it - I did say I was looking forward to a rest didn't I?  Still I'm excited to go I can have a rest when I come back!



No comments:

Post a Comment