Wednesday 16 November 2011

Shake N Bake In Plastic?

My daughter got me started recently on silicone baking trays and moulds.  She invested in some for the home and I thought go for it at least it's not my money you're using!

I've got to admit to being a bit old fashioned and  I looked at this new- fangled bake ware with something akin to wondrous dismay. There's no way I can let these floppy plastic trays into my oven for baking I uttered in horror. Surely they'll melt? I took out my metal and OK slightly rusting cake trays to compare. My daughter after  she picked herself up off the floor from her uncontrollable laughter. It's no laughing matter I think - but you know how impetuous youth is. Anyway my daughter set about showing me this flexible silicone muffin tray in action. She made up the muffin batter and added to the trays then she cooked it at a slightly lower temperature than normal in the oven. We waited the required time with me waiting to smell molten plastic and then duly retrieved the tray. It was still floppy but she'd rested it on a metal baking tray to ease it out of the oven - ahh yes see no modern technological wizardry there then!

The next bit was a modern day wonder as she left the cakes to cool slightly then popped each one out from the plastic mould. I couldn't believe it - such wonders of the modern world. She's since left to go to uni and taken it all with here- traitor! So I've been forced - as any good convert would to buy my own - it's quite addictive I've got to say.....

No comments:

Post a Comment